Drawing on my decades of work as a photographer, speaker, author, professor and workshop founder, I’m pleased to offer expert witness services in copyright infringement cases as well as personal and corporate consultation services. Consultations are also available for universities and college photography programs to incorporate a standard of freelance education into their curriculums.
EXPERT WITNESS SERVICES
Beginning early in my career, I dedicated myself to learning about copyright and infringement issues in an effort to use the US Copyright Law to protect my photographs against unauthorized use. My expertise listed below has led to requests for services as an expert witness. Please contact me to discuss services if needed.
- Photographer: Thirty years of working as a freelance photographer for many of the world’s best and most read publications including Time, Newsweek, The Washington Post, USA Today, Sports Illustrated, People, Smithsonian, ESPN, National Geographic Traveler and more. Throughout three decades of assignment work, I have negotiated contracts with those referenced above related to the copyright and licensing rights to my photographs. During this time my work has been represented by three highly respected photo agencies: Black Star, Aurora Photos and Contact Press Images.
- Litigation History: I have successfully defended my IP rights under the US Copyright Law on many occasions resulting in settlements from a wide range of individuals, publications, non-profits and corporations. I have also worked as an expert witness to provide summary reports for plaintiffs pursuing infringement claims.
- Workshop Founder: I am the founder of The Business Of Photography Workshop offered by professional photography organizations and universities nationwide to address issues specifically related to copyright, infringement, licensing, archive management and contract negotiations, to name a few of the key sections of the two-day seminar. The course is based at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Speaker: I have been sought out by professional photography organizations, conferences and digital platforms to deliver talks and provide insight on copyright, licensing, combatting infringement and more. Interviews and webinars include those for Sony, Photoshelter & National Public Radio, among others.
- Author: I am the author of “The Freelance Photographer’s Guide To Success: Business Essentials” which is devoted to navigating the freelance photography world. Major sections of the nearly 300 page guidebook published by Routledge Publishing address intellectual property concerns for freelancers such as copyright, infringement, contracts and licensing.
- Professor: I am an Adjunct Professor of Photography at California State University, Northridge where I incorporate into the curriculum lectures on copyright, licensing, contract issues and infringement. I also teach a variety of courses at the University of California, Los Angeles through their open enrollment programs.
Requests coming from my Business of Photography Workshop students for personal consultations, in addition to a growing number of similar requests from those unable to attend the seminar, led me to begin offering consultations by appointment. If you’re interested in personal consultation, please contact me to discuss how I can help you meet your objectives.
I offer services in a variety of areas relating to my nearly 30 years of experience as a photographer working with the world’s premier publications, foundations, corporations, agencies and non-profits. Many of the topics covered in my Business of Photography Workshop can be addressed in one-to-one sessions held in person or virtually. Consultations include the following:
- Negotiating Specific Licensing Requests
- Copyright Registration
- Image Licensing Standards
- Photo Contract Analysis & Negotiations
- Portfolio Analysis & Development
- Project Consultation & Editing
- Creating Revenue from Licensing
- Assignment Rate and Term Standards & Negotiations
CORPORATE TRAINING & CONSULTATIONS
With social media teams and corporate employees taking on photography responsibilities, it’s imperative that they understand how to create interesting and engaging visuals that will best serve their brand, company, foundation or institution. There’s a lot at stake when it comes to putting images into social media streams and on branded content distributed throughout digital and print platforms. I am available to come in and teach your team how to elevate their skills so visuals become a central part of the communication process. Instruction is easily tailored to fit your team’s needs.
Who Can Benefit From This Instruction:
- Corporate social media or public relations team members.
- University yearbook staffs.
- Graphic designer firms with designers hired to create annual reports & marketing materials.
- Real estate brokerages whose sales agents must create appealing photographs of properties.
- Writers, researchers and producers required to shoot their own stories.
- Security and Human Resource staff tasked with creating employee portraits.
Below Are Topics Often Covered:
- Assessing and setting up your DSLR to best serve you.
- Instruction in understanding the various DSLR functions.
- Equipment Considerations & Recommendations.
- Understanding the factors that create proper exposures.
- Understanding when you should use programs and when to avoid them.
- Advice in how to best photograph a variety of subjects including events, sports, portraits, news, products, scenics and lifestyle.
- Instruction in use of natural light utilizing simple accessories like reflectors & diffusers.
- Instruction in use of artificial lighting equipment for portraits including employee headshots, environmental portraits & more.
- Instruction in creating an efficient workflow from camera to computer.
- Instruction in optimizing your images & applying metadata using mainstream processing software.
- Assistance in setting-up easily manageable storage of your images for future access & use.
- Instruction in copyright basics to assure you maintain control of the images.