Drawing on my decades of work as a photographer, speaker, author, professor and workshop founder, I’m pleased to offer expert witness services in copyright infringement cases as well as personal and corporate consultation services. Consultations are also available for universities and college photography programs to incorporate a standard of freelance education into their curriculums.
SPEAKING, CONSULTING AND EXPERT WITNESS SERVICES
Beginning early in my career, I dedicated myself to building and sustaining a freelance photography business that has led me to work with some of the best publications, non-profits and corporations worldwide. I’m happy to fulfill requests for speaking, guest lecturing, consultations and expert witness work. Please contact me to discuss services if needed.
- Photographer: Thirty years of working as a freelance photographer for many of the world’s best and most read publications including Time, Newsweek, The Washington Post, USA Today, Sports Illustrated, People, Smithsonian, ESPN, National Geographic Traveler and more. Throughout three decades of assignment work, I have negotiated contracts with those referenced above related to the copyright and licensing rights to my photographs. During this time my work has been represented by three highly respected photo agencies: Black Star, Aurora Photos and Contact Press Images.
- Litigation History: I have successfully defended my IP rights under the US Copyright Law on many occasions resulting in settlements from a wide range of individuals, publications, non-profits and corporations. I have also worked as an expert witness to provide summary reports for plaintiffs pursuing infringement claims.
- Workshop Founder: I am the founder of The Business Of Photography Workshop offered by professional photography organizations and universities nationwide to address issues specifically related to copyright, infringement, licensing, archive management and contract negotiations, to name a few of the key sections of the two-day seminar. The course is based at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Speaker: I have been sought out by professional photography organizations, universities, podcasts, radio programs and more to provide insight on assignment work, long-term projects, copyright, licensing, infringement and more. Interviews and webinars include those for Sony, Photoshelter & National Public Radio, among others.
- Author: I am the author of “The Freelance Photographer’s Guide To Success: Business Essentials” which is devoted to navigating the freelance photography world. Major sections of the guidebook published by Routledge Publishing address business issues and intellectual property concerns for freelancers such as archive management, understanding copyright, battling infringement, contract analysis and licensing rights.
- Professor: I am an Adjunct Professor of Photography at California State University, Northridge where I incorporate into the curriculum lectures on copyright, licensing, contract issues and infringement. I also teach a variety of courses at the University of California, Los Angeles including the Business of Photography Workshop, Portraiture and Street Photography.
I offer services in a variety of areas relating to my nearly 30 years of experience as a photographer working with the world’s premier publications, foundations, corporations, agencies and non-profits. Many of the topics covered in my Business of Photography Workshop as well as in my book, The Freelance Photographer’s Guide To Success: Business Essentials, can be addressed in one-to-one sessions held in person or virtually.
- Negotiating Specific Licensing Requests
- Copyright Registration
- Image Licensing Standards
- Photo Contract Analysis & Negotiations
- Portfolio Analysis & Development
- Project Consultation & Editing
- Creating Revenue from Licensing
- Assignment Rate and Term Standards & Negotiations
Booking Your Consultation
The rate is $125/hr with a one hour minimum. You may inquire or book your consultation by emailing me at Todd [at] ToddBigelowPhotography [dot] com your request with pertinent information including:
- Name & Contact Information (email & phone)
- Preferred Date and Time
- Relevant background information for your consultation (subject matter & details).
- If you prefer a written response to a question via email, please advise. The same minimum applies and if the question requires more than one hour to answer, I will let you know in advance so you’re assured of the fee before moving forward.
- Please allow at least 48 hrs advance notice for your request as I am a working photographer.
- Please follow with an email to assure I have received your request. I will respond as soon as possible to confirm.
CORPORATE TRAINING & CONSULTATIONS
With social media teams and corporate employees taking on photography responsibilities, it’s imperative that they understand how to create interesting and engaging visuals that will best serve their brand, company, foundation or institution. There’s a lot at stake when it comes to putting images into social media streams and on branded content distributed throughout digital and print platforms. I am available to come in and teach your team how to elevate their skills so visuals become a central part of the communication process. Instruction is easily tailored to fit your team’s needs.
Who Can Benefit From This Instruction:
- Corporate social media or public relations team members.
- University yearbook staffs.
- Graphic designer firms with designers hired to create annual reports & marketing materials.
- Real estate brokerages whose sales agents must create appealing photographs of properties.
- Writers, researchers and producers required to shoot their own stories.
- Security and Human Resource staff tasked with creating employee portraits.
Below Are Topics Often Covered:
- Assessing and setting up your DSLR to best serve you.
- Instruction in understanding the various DSLR functions.
- Equipment Considerations & Recommendations.
- Understanding the factors that create proper exposures.
- Understanding when you should use programs and when to avoid them.
- Advice in how to best photograph a variety of subjects including events, sports, portraits, news, products, scenics and lifestyle.
- Instruction in use of natural light utilizing simple accessories like reflectors & diffusers.
- Instruction in use of artificial lighting equipment for portraits including employee headshots, environmental portraits & more.
- Instruction in creating an efficient workflow from camera to computer.
- Instruction in optimizing your images & applying metadata using mainstream processing software.
- Assistance in setting-up easily manageable storage of your images for future access & use.
- Instruction in copyright basics to assure you maintain control of the images.